How I Taught My Grandmother to Read KWL Chart | Class 9 English Kaveri Chapter 1

 

How I Taught My Grandmother to Read KWL Chart Class 9 English Kaveri Chapter 1

How I Taught My Grandmother to Read – KWL Chart

Class 9 English Kaveri | Chapter 1 | Sudha Murty

The KWL Chart is a simple and effective learning strategy that helps students organise their understanding of a chapter into three stages:

  • K – What I Know
  • W – What I Want to Know
  • L – What I Learned

This KWL Chart for “How I Taught My Grandmother to Read” helps Class 9 students revise the important characters, events, ideas and message of the chapter quickly.

The chapter presents the relationship between a young granddaughter and her grandmother, Krishtakka, and shows how determination and education can lead to independence.


📚 Chapter Details

DetailInformation
ClassClass 9
SubjectEnglish
BookKaveri
ChapterChapter 1
TitleHow I Taught My Grandmother to Read
AuthorSudha Murty
Main CharacterKrishtakka
NarratorGranddaughter
Important Book in StoryKashi Yatre
Writer of Kashi YatreTriveni

🧠 KWL Chart – How I Taught My Grandmother to Read

K – What I KNOW 🟢W – What I WANT TO KNOW 🟡L – What I LEARNED 🔵
The story is written by Sudha Murty.Why did the grandmother want to learn to read?The grandmother wanted independence in her life.
The narrator is a young girl who lives with her grandparents.Why was the grandmother so interested in Kashi Yatre?She was deeply interested in the story because she could relate to its old-woman character.
The grandmother is Krishtakka, also called Avva.Who taught the grandmother to read?Her granddaughter became her teacher.
The grandmother had never gone to school.What happened when the granddaughter went away?The grandmother felt helpless because she could not read the new episode herself.
She could not read the weekly magazine herself.How did the grandmother learn at the age of 62?She practised with determination—reading, writing, repeating and reciting.
The narrator used to read the story to her grandmother.Could she really become independent through education?Yes. She learned to read successfully.
Kashi Yatre is an important part of the story.When did the grandmother achieve her goal?She set her goal around Saraswati Puja during Dassara.
The grandmother was deeply connected with the story.Why did the grandmother touch her granddaughter's feet?She respected her granddaughter as her teacher.
The chapter is about learning and education.What is the main message of the chapter?Learning has no age limit, and education can bring confidence and independence.

The central movement of the story is from dependence → determination → learning → independence, which is also reflected in current Class 9 Kaveri study resources.


🌟 What Do We Learn From the Chapter?

1. Education Brings Independence

Learning to read allows the grandmother to become less dependent on others.

2. There Is No Age Limit for Learning

The grandmother proves that a person can learn even later in life.

3. Determination Helps Overcome Difficulties

She works hard and continues practising until she achieves her goal.

4. A Teacher Can Be Anyone

The granddaughter is younger, but she becomes the grandmother's teacher.

5. Teachers Deserve Respect

The grandmother touches her granddaughter's feet to show respect for her teacher.


🎯 Quick Revision

K – KNOW
Grandmother cannot read → loves Kashi Yatre → granddaughter reads it to her.

W – WANT TO KNOW
Why does she want to learn? → How will she learn? → Can she become independent?

L – LEARNED
She learns with determination → achieves her goal → becomes independent → respects her granddaughter as her teacher.


❓ Frequently Asked Questions

What is the KWL Chart for Class 9 English?

A KWL Chart is a learning and revision tool divided into Know, Want to Know and Learned.

Who wrote “How I Taught My Grandmother to Read”?

The chapter is written by Sudha Murty.

Who is Krishtakka?

Krishtakka, or Avva, is the grandmother in the story.

What is the main message of the chapter?

The chapter highlights the importance of education, determination, independence and respect for teachers.

What is Kashi Yatre?

Kashi Yatre is the novel by Triveni that becomes important in the grandmother's journey towards literacy.


🌱 Final Takeaway

“How I Taught My Grandmother to Read” teaches us that learning has no age limit. With determination, practice and the right guidance, anyone can overcome obstacles and become independent.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class 9 English Chapter 1 Quiz | How I Taught My Grandmother to Read - Interactive MCQ Test

How I Taught My Grandmother to Read – Summary & Explanation | Class 9 English Kaveri

How I Taught My Grandmother to Read Lesson Plan | Class 9 English Kaveri Chapter 1